Batch #1: Featuring Alien, Chris Evans, & other stuff probably
Mmmmm Chris Evans.
Hi everyone! And welcome to the first edition of this Movie Cramming Project digest!
These reviews were first posted on Facebook in the beginning of March. A simpler time. And yes, this first batch includes a couple of movies featuring Chris Evans, because I wanted this project to be enjoyable and not just obligatory.
I have a deep and abiding love for Chris Evans and his movies ever since I saw him in one of his first movies, Cellular — that one may not be a cultural touchstone, but as a sheltered Jewish high schooler who was only starting to see movies in theaters on a more regular basis, it was a personal touchstone for me. It really stands out in my mind, even all these years later, as a movie that made me realize that movies could just be pure fun, sheer absurd silliness and escapism. And that was something I definitely needed at that point in my life, and that’s what Chris Evans’ early movies were to me. (If you want to try a more recent movie of his that, while a bit dark at points, captured that ridiculously silly, playful vibe for me, try the romcom “Playing It Cool.”)
I’m really looking forward to seeing what he does with his post-Captain America career, and I hope it includes more comedies down the line, although I will watch him in anything (but I really want a buddy comedy with him and Chris Hemsworth). I know that whenever I pick a Chris Evans movie, he will be doing his darn best to keep me entertained, and I appreciate that.
Movie #1 - Alien
Overall impressions: nice little locked door spaceship thriller; aliens themselves were clearly barely onscreen because the effects at the time couldn't withstand scrutiny; and why the frak is Ripley wearing underwear that is obviously at least 2 sizes too small
(I love Sigourney Weaver btw. She’s also one of those actors who makes me take a second look at anything she’s in and often be willing to take a chance on it. I once printed out a full list of her movies and aspire to one day have seen them all. I know that due to the time period of her early career, many of her roles are going to feature even grosser sexist elements than we’re used to today — hello, tiny underwear — that may ruin them for me — hey there Ghostbusters — but I still want to give them a shot.)
Movie #2 - Push
Chris Evans was 99% of the reason for watching this movie, but the other 1% of it isn't too shabby. It's a fun but dark take on superpowers/mutants on the run from exploitative government. I lost the thread of what was happening a bunch of times but it all worked out overall. I happen to really like where they chose to end it, although my roommate was pissed as hell. 😂
Movie #3 - Gifted
Another Chris Evans movie, but not a superhero one this time! A sweet, wholesome take on the Good Will Hunting problem of child math prodigies, this time with a little girl. So sweet. So wholesome.
(I really want to just watch this one again, but I must soldier onward.)
Movie #4 - Baby Mama
A cute premise that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are having a ball with, and bonus points for Steve Martin's character being the quintessential Eccentric Rich White Guy Boss who gets away with literally anything.
Movie #5 - Allegiant
THEY COMPLETELY CHANGED THE ENDING FROM THE BOOK. They may have completely changed the beginning and middle too but to be honest I only remembered ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing at the end, and it doesn't happen. Cool futuristic set aesthetics, though.
And that’s it for this batch! See you around for the next one!
And if you liked this and think others would too, feel free to share — and if you aren’t subscribed, you can do that anytime.